And Archer is to blame. Can I rant a little bit about how awesome this pattern is? The drafting on it is excellent and I am SOOOO glad I used this for my first collared shirt. This is actually my third archer. The first one was a muslin in quilting cotton that I had in my stash. The second was a cute blue polka dot quilting cotton. The muslin allowed me to work out some of the details – mostly interfacing weight and techniques. I left it unfinished as I knew I would not wear it because the cuffs and collar had a too heavy interfacing. The blue polka dot one is so cute…but as I have learned, the wrong fabric = I won’t wear it. I have yet to learn my lesson with the ever tempting quilting cotton.
Enter mystery fabric. Seriously – the bolt end said “various fibers.” I suspect it’s mostly polyester. It’s silky and slightly shiny with tiny polka dots woven in the fabric. It has a nice drape and cost $5 a yard on sale. Machine washable. Ever so comfy. I must say, it’s the perfect marriage between pattern and fabric and I am super excited about the end result.
Let’s review the things I think made a difference with my make:
- I top stitched the h#$% outta this shirt. It looks both professional and tailored.
- I ironed every step of the way. DO NOT TAKE SHORTCUTS. It really helps the sewing go quickly. (Though, I did get a little too vigorous and have a little sheen where I over-pressed one of the shoulders. DOH!)
- French seams. I mentioned those in a prior post, but I will definitely do them again.
- Lightweight interfacing.
- I used my walking foot and lengthened my stich length. This really helped with the “wavy” effect you sometimes get with silky fabrics.
Make sure you visit Grainline’s blog for her sew-a-long posts. The pictures are invaluable, especially for doing the sleeve placket and collar stand.
I have a cream/white circle skirt planned…I think the two will go together very well!